Cable TV Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)*Click on the topic to display the answer/explanation!
- If your television is connected to an HD gateway (such as a DVR), DTA, or other gateway device: ensure that the TV is set to respective input/source. Refer to the TV manufacturer regarding more information about source/input.
- Check to ensure that all of the connections and fittings to your television are tight and correctly installed.
- Make sure that all of your equipment is turned on and plugged into a functioning electrical receptacle.
- If you are not receiving any channels above Channel 13, and your TV (or VCR) is cable ready, make sure that it is in the "CATV" mode and not the "Antenna" mode (you may need to refer to your Owner's Manual).
A number of our subscribers have a VCR between the incoming cable signal and their televisions. Here are some things to watch out for when using two of the basic functions of your VCR:
- VCR AS A TUNING/PLAYBACK DEVICE: In this case, the VCR controls what you see on the TV by tuning in our signal. Make sure the TV/VCR selection is set to the "VCR" mode and your TV is on either channel 3 or 4 (depending on the VCR's setting). If you then do not have a picture, try playing a pre-recorded videocassette. If the recording does not display, there is possibly a problem with the VCR. If the VCR will play a tape, but you are still not receiving our cable signal, call our office.
- VCR PASSING THE CABLE SIGNAL: Sometimes you may want to use a cable-ready television to tune in our channels. To view our cable signal at the set while the VCR is on, check to make sure that your VCR's TV/VCR selection is set to the "TV" mode (Please refer to your Owner/Operator manual). Also, most VCR power cords must be plugged in to allow our cable signal to reach your television, even when the VCR is not use.
OFF-AIR BROADCAST CHANNELS:
Bardstown Cable currently carries available off-air digital broadcasts from the Louisville television market in an unscrambled digital format know as QAM. The following are the requirements for customers acquiring our available off-air (Louisville) HD channels for free:
- An HD television with a QAM tuner.(some older models come with a CableCARD slot; this can alleviate the need for a set-top box to receive the non-braodcast HD channels, like ESPN, etc..)
- A properly wired outlet (to ensure our higher frequencies pass)
NON-BROADCAST CHANNELS (HD VALUE PACK)
Select non-broadcast HD programming is currently available in our "HD Value Pack" (ESPN, ESPN2, A&E, History, TNT, Outdoor Channel, Food Network, HGTV, etc. See our whole HD lineup at http://www.bardstowncable.net/cabletv/basic.shtml ). This package is free to Expanded Basic subscribers. However, where we are required to scramble these channels, rental of equipment from Bardstown Cable will be necessary to decrypt the HD Value Pack. Customers currently have three options for acquiring our available HD channels through Bardstown Cable TV Equipment: For more information, reference our HDTV info page.